Articles, Essays, Blogs, Profiles, More
Some selected works:
Longtime contributor, former contributing editor
- "Scranton, Suffragettes, My Grandma Maggie, and Me"
- "Called to Account: Inside the Feminist Fight to End Clergy Sex Abuse"
- "The Innocents Tackles Women, Faith and Rape in War"
- "Living Lopsided in a Symmetrical World" (after breast cancer)
- "Sisters Act: US Nuns Respond to Vatican Pressure"
- “A Joyful Defiance: In spite of church, women ordained as Catholic priests”
- "New Battleground for Survivors of Priest Child Sex Abuse"
- "Cardinal Sins," about then NY Cardinal Egan's lobbying trip to Albany
- "Making Love in the Dark, anchor piece for special section on STDs
- "Confused by the Rules@ (on sexual harassment at work, co-writer Ms. editor Gloria Jacobs).
- "After Prozac,"personal essay
- "Late-Term Abortion: Separating Fact from Fiction," cover story.
- "Breaking the Blue Wall of Silence," Profile of NYC Police Officer Daisy Boria.
- "Clothes Encounters: Ms. Goes to the Fall Fashion Shows"
- Interviews with breast cancer survivors for special issue on "The Politics of Breast Cancer"
- "The Sacred Secret,@ investigative report on clergy sexual abuse in the U.S."
- "Kathy's Day in Court," on first teenager to go to court in Alabama to obtain permission for an abortion, cover story.
- "The Ordeal of Pamela Rae Stewart," on nation's first prosecution for fetal abuse, nominated by Ms. for a National Magazine Award.
- "It's Not Just Covid, It's the Cruelty It Exposes"
- "Liz Lerman Shares" Her 'Me Too' Moment, Keynotes Women, Dance Leadership Conference"
- The Fight to Save the Affordable Care Act is Really a Class Battle
- American Nuns: Guilty as Charged?
- Does the Pope Care About Workers’ Rights?
- The Church's Tug of War--Women a Driving Force in Catholic Church Reform
- “Pope’s Test: Women’s Place in Ministry” (reprinted in Miami Herald, Contra Costa Times, other newspapers).
- "Striptease to Bare Our Fears," essay on the death of performance artist Danitra Vance from breast cancer at the age of 33
- "Does Hollywood Hate Women?"
New York Daily News
The Chicago Tribune
Years of features, essays, opeds and news briefs for the WomanNews section of the Chicago Tribune--e.g.:
- "Forgotten in the Flock? Catholic Church Shows Little Mercy to Women Victims"
- "Oh Happy Day, on the ordination of Mary Ramerman to the priesthood in the Old CatholicChurch"
- "A Networking Pioneer Broadens Her Reach," my profile of Janet Tiebout Hanson
- "Drawn to Wounded Ground," on my visit to Ground Zero, NYC
- "Ready for Prime Time: Networks Should Address Realities of Condom Use"
- "At Issue: Will Other Doors Open? Debating Bush's Closing of the Women's Office".
- "Dozens of Cookies Later, the Hunger Still Isn't Satiated--What Are Americans Hungry for?"
- "For A Time, Living in the Past Was Pleasant," on Penny Marshall's filming of Riding in Cars with Boys on location in Westchester, New York.
- "Unwanted Pregnancies and Society's Tacit Complicity," on the sentencing of Amy Grossberg for the death of her newborn
- "The Unfinished Revolution," (profile of author/activist Susan Brownmiller) and Chicago Was at Center of Feminist Activity (sidebar)
- Why Changes in Reporting Won't Fix the Catholic Church's Sexual Abuse Problem,
- In Sexual Abuse Hearing, UN Calls Holy See on Girls' Reproductive Rights
- Debating Death: Is It Really the End?
- Barbara Ehrenreich's Wild God Is Not Here to Help
- Missouri and the Fight forAbortion Rights: How Past Became Prologue
- UN Child Rights Panel Defends Children and Girls, Throws Down Gauntlet to Holy See,
- The Bishops and Birth Control: It's Not About the Money
- "My Surgeon Made a Terrifying Error," personal essay on wrong-site surgery
Women's Media Center
- "Rape Culture Unmasked: Roll Red Roll Comes to Theaters and PBS' POV"
- "Pope Watch: The Mainstream Media, like Francis, Needs to Do Better By Women"
- "Women Leaders Take Center Stage at Athena"
- "The Synod's Final Document: Where Are the Women?"
- "A Female Gaze? Athena Film Festival Asks, Answers"
- "Losing Larry Wilmore and Why It Matters--to TV, Women and the Nation"
Women and Hollywood
Huffpost (one of scores blogs--see Quik Links, above)
- "For Pope Francis, A "To Do" List on Women"
- "Friend, Feminist, Unsung Hero: In Praise of Mary Thom"
- A Feminist Contrarian's Take on the Oscar Nominations(Also, CWCW Blog
- "An Aspiring Memoirist Shares Her Top Five Challenges"
(Also, CWCW Blog)
ARTICLE/ESSAY EXCERPTS IN BOOKS
- "Blindsided," my personal essay in Grabbed: Poets and Writers on Sexual Assault, Empowerment and Healing (Beacon Books, 2020), with a foreword by Joyce Maynard, afterword by Anita Hill.
- "Making Love in the Dark," published in Ms., anchor piece for special section on STDs, reprinted in Reading Women's Lives, 3rd Edition, Women's Studies Department, Ohio State University, 2003.
- "Confused by the Rules" (on sexual harassment at work, co-written with Ms. editor Gloria Jacobs, published in Ms.), reprinted in textbook entitled Human Sexuality (McGraw Hill, 2000) and an anthology entitled Sexual Harassment (Greenhaven Press, 2000).
- "Kathy's Day in Court," Ms. cover story, on first teenager to go to court in Alabama to obtain permission for an abortion; reprinted in Transforming a Movement: From Abortion to Reproductive Freedom (South End Press, Boston, 1990) and Modern Family Law: Cases and Materials (Aspen).
- "Women and…?" (about the decision to be child-free). Originaly published as an essay in Conscience, magazine of Catholics for Choice, published as a monologue in Short Plays on Reproductive Freedom (ed. Cindy Cooper with Stacey Linnartz) and performed at the Words of Choice Reproductive Freedom Festival.
- "The Church's Tug of War--Women a Driving Force in Catholic Church Reform," The Nation, August 19, 2002, reprinted in Nothing Sacred: Women Respond to Religious Fundamentalism and Terror (Thunder's Mouth Press/Nation Books, 2002).
- “The Illegal Days,” my interview with Grace Paley that appears in The Choices We Made, published in Paley's memoir and final book, Just As I Thought.
- Front Lines: Political Plays by American Women. Two excerpts ("A Father's Story" and Kathy Najimy's story) from my book "The Choices We Made" featured in “Words of Choice,” pro-choice theater by Cynthia Cooper.
- DSM IV Case book of the American Psychiatric Association, “A Visit to Food Hell.”
- Our Domicile (definitely not) Daily, with husband, "All the fun of pandemic life in one easy read."